My Goal in Blogging

I started this blog in May of 2008, shortly after my election to the School Committee, because I believed it was very important to both provide the community with an opportunity to share their thoughts with me about our schools and to provide me with an opportunity for me to ask questions and share my thoughts and reasoning. I have found the conversation generated on my blog to be extremely helpful to me in learning community views on many issues. I appreciate the many people who have taken the time to share their views. I believe it is critical to the quality of our public schools to have a public discussion of our community priorities, concerns and aspirations.

Monday, February 2, 2009

Blatant Fresh Air Program Plug

This blog posting is NOT about the schools or education in Amherst (sorry) ... but it is about something that I think would be of interest to many Amherst families -- the Fresh Air Program. This is a program in which kids from New York City children who live in disadvantaged communities come and stay in a rural/surburban town (like Amherst!) for two weeks each summer. We've hosted a Fresh Air child (Nasheen) for three summers now, and hope to have him back this year for his fourth visit (he was 6 when he started coming, so he's really grown up with my kids). It has been very rewarding for my family, and really not so much work -- he goes to day camp with one of my kids, shares a bedroom with my oldest son, and just hangs out doing whatever we are doing. Anyway, if you are interested in learning more about this program, you can check out their website: http://www.freshair.org/. I'm also glad to answer any questions -- either on line or off (casanderson@amherst.edu, 256-4977).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Catherine, this is a great program and my husband's family, the Whitelaw Reids, has been involved with the Fresh Air program for more than a century. The they have hosted many children with many happy moments.

On a strange note, I was just thinking about sponsoring a kid TODAY. Thanks for putting this out there for Amherst families. As an x-New Yorker I recommend it highly.

Kudos' Tracy Hightower

Catherine A. Sanderson said...

Thanks, Tracy! The bus comes right to Amherst (July) so it is especially easy for Amherst families to host. Please spread the word -- I'm always amazed at how many families haven't heard of it. So glad to hear that your husband's family is already involved!