My Goal in Blogging

I started this blog in May of 2008, shortly after my election to the School Committee, because I believed it was very important to both provide the community with an opportunity to share their thoughts with me about our schools and to provide me with an opportunity for me to ask questions and share my thoughts and reasoning. I have found the conversation generated on my blog to be extremely helpful to me in learning community views on many issues. I appreciate the many people who have taken the time to share their views. I believe it is critical to the quality of our public schools to have a public discussion of our community priorities, concerns and aspirations.

Friday, December 12, 2008

Regional Meeting, November 25, 2008

Note: I was on vacation for the week of Thanksgiving, and hence I was not at this meeting. My comments are based on my viewing of the ACTV recording of this event as well as my reading of the minutes of this meeting.

The Superintendent distributed information about the 28 high school students who took the ACT test (all scored above the state average). He also distributed information on the costs of administrators in the Amherst schools (I have not seen this report, so I'm not going to comment on it). He announced that community members who want to tour the schools can do so on December 5th (high school) and December 19th (middle school). There was a discussion about the pool closing (due to its current drain), and information about an opportunity to examine regionalization (so that smaller school districts could become larger one).

The bulk of the meeting was spent reviewing school district policies.

Three issues were noted as ideas for subsequent meetings: special education, electronic email, and human resources.

No comments: